Retreat for Women Survivors of Domestic Violence
No one can take away your courage, strength, and dreams. You can’t be broken. Give yourself the opportunity to remember who you are.
Domestic violence is a widespread phenomenon in Bulgaria, where one in four women has been a victim of physical harassment (Women’s Watch, 2013). Although thirty-five Bulgarian women have been killed by their husbands or partners in the last year, and the cases have been covered in the Bulgarian media, public opinion largely blames the victims, not the perpetrators.
Women who manage to break free from their abusers often do not receive the support they need to restructure their lives to build self-confidence, autonomy and financial independence. Social stigma and economic dependence negatively affect the level of reporting of cases of violence and create the conditions for women to remain in long-term relationships based on violence, while also creating conditions for social isolation.
The Solidarity in Action Foundation stands behind the victims of domestic violence and works to raise awareness of the need to eradicate domestic violence from Bulgarian society. In addition, we support women victims of domestic violence in their process of recovery from trauma and building an independent and satisfying lifestyle.
Survivor Retreat – In Short
The first of its kind in Eastern Europe, Survivor Retreat is a 4-day intensive program for personal development and financial independence, which will enable its participants to:
- break away from their usual environments
- spend time in nature
- get rid of their fears
- step out of their comfort zones
- connect with themselves
- restore their inner peace and balance
- rediscover forgotten or neglected needs and priorities
- develop their confidence
- create realistic action plants to achieve their personal goals
- chart their path to financial independence
- exchange strategies, ideas, and opportunities for development
- build a community based on trust, sharing, and mutual support
We cover all costs related to accommodation and food. There will be organized free transport from Sofia to the venue of the program.
The program will be held in a small town near nature. Accommodation will be in shared room, each of which will accommodate 3-4 participants. During the program, there will be a designated medical person 24/7.
The Retreat Program Includes:
- practices and tool for emotional and physical health
- activities to relieve fear and trauma
- community sharing and community building circles
- workshops for goal setting and development of sustainable plans to achieve personal goals
- financial-planning workshops led by a financial consultant with more than 15 years experience
- time in nature
Upon completion of the program, all participants will have the opportunity to receive free, individual, financial advice and preparation of a long-term financial plan, provided by our volunteer financial advisor with more than 15 years experience.
If you want to participate in the first-of-its-kind Bulgarian Survivor Retreat for Women Victims of Domestic Violence, click the button below and fill out our short form of interest:
All applicants will be notified whether they are accepted into the program within a week of the application deadline.